The east of Westphalia is bordered by the river Weser and covers the western part of the hilly Weser Uplands and the Egge Mountains. Upstream and to the west is the sparsely populated Paderborn Plateau with its limestone soil which leads on to the sandy heathland of the Senne region in the northwest. To the east of the Egge, flat plains covered with highly fertile soil left over from the last ice age stretch out around the towns of Brakel and Warburg. This area formed the core of the former Prince-Bishopric of Paderborn and a small territory belonging to the Imperial Abbey of Corvey near the Weser. Both fell to Prussia in 1815 and became part of the province of Westphalia. The most prominent type of settlement in the east of Westphalia is the large, clustered village which is represented by the Paderborn Village in the museum. The Delbrück Land between the upper courses of the rivers Ems and Lippe forms the gateway into the Münsterland with its loosely scattered settlements.